Thursday, September 5, 2013

Drywall Complete and Locked & Loaded

E went over to the house last night and saw that they finished up the drywall and applied one coat of mud. Everything looks good except the large gap over the garage door on the two car garage side. Not sure if he had a chance to call our PM about that yet or not today.

The brick was delivered last week, so I am excited to see that on the house.

Below are some pics of the drywall.

All week we have been going back and forth over our mortgage options. We were working with a local bank in addition to NVR. Our local bank's closing costs were a bit more, but they emailed us today and said they were able to lock us in at 4.625% instead of the current rate today as of 4.750%. After tons of spreadsheets, it is cheaper for us to go with the local bank starting after month 38. We are also planning to pay a little bit more each month to get our MI off the monthly payment sooner than 38 months. I found that I can work these amortization tables every which way after these past few days; what does it look like after 5 yrs, 7 yrs, 10 yrs, what if you pay MI up front vs monthly, etc. I think we worked through each combination and each situation only had about a $1K difference between each bank (our incentives were only $5K).  I think E was going to lock today and I think this was the scariest part of this whole process so far.

NVR called us on Tuesday to schedule our closing for Monday Oct 14th. I am hoping that our local bank is able to get us closed during that week as well. Our house is to be finished Friday Oct 11th. I want to ask if we can close at the last possible minute that day so that we have all weekend to move. If we close early in the week, I won't want to wait until the weekend to move.

We also purchased our washer/dryer this weekend during the labor day sale. I went into the store wanting a top load washer, but the salesman talked me out of it. He said the technology in the top load has not caught up with the front load yet and the front load is the better washer to purchase. I also wasn't excited about spending $250 for each pedestal and we wouldn't even be able to use the one under the washer due to the drain tray. I am also short and I can't reach over the front load when they are on a pedestal. Well....we didn't purchase what I originally went into the store to get. We bought a Kenmore Front load with the pedestals all on sale for $1.7K on sale from $3K. The pedestals were only $100/each instead of $250/each.

Kenmore-3.7 cu. ft. Accela-Wash™ Steam Front-Load Washer and 7.3 cu. ft. Dryer
Kenmore 3.7 cu. ft. Accela-Wash™ Steam Front-Load Washer and 7.3 cu. ft. Dryer
$2359.98Starting at $1399.98
The Kenmore 3.7 cu. ft. steam front-load washer features the Accela-Wash™ option, which can make wash time 33% faster. This Kenmore washer has 3 unique wash motions, offering special care for fabrics. And with the power of steam, this front-load washer virtually eliminates the need to pre-treat stains.The Kenmore 7.3 cu. ft. dryer has an extra-large capacity for bulky items such as bedding. It automatically detects the moisture to determine the right drying temperature and time. The steam refresh option adds steams to reduce wrinkles, odors and static cling.Save floor space by mounting the dryer on the washer with the optional stacking kit. Or use the matching pedestals to raise your washer and dryer 13.7-inches to a more comfortable height for loading and unloading. The pedestal's large storage drawer holds and hides your laundry supplies, including large detergent bottles and boxes.
 
Love my garage doors:

 Family Room looking into living room:
I keep telling my PM they forgot to build the morning room. He just laughs at me.

 Kitchen looking into Family Room:


Large gap above garage door:
 
 
My ugly air vents:
We will have to keep the covers painted the same colors as the wall so they don't stick out as much.
I am just going to walk up the stairs with my eyes closed. 


Master batch switched shower and tub so door swings into bathroom instead of bedroom:
 

2 comments:

  1. That's a good rate! Once you lock your rate, you can relax and concentrate on the house. I agree with you that has been the hardest part for us too! And I'm pretty sure the garage door gap is an easy fix.

    Your appliances look cool. You got a great deal! The natural light into your family room is very nice. It looks huge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gap over your garage doors is normal. They mount the door on wood attached to the wall studs and not the drywall. If it bothers you down the road you can paint it but I have seen this in many homes when I was house hunting last year.

    ReplyDelete